What We Learnt Today

Tuesday 12 September 2017

My Addictions

Addiction is a funny thing. I mean, not if it's drugs or alcohol or the like, but I mean the very 2017 "I'm addicted to Netflix/latte/avocado toast" style dependencies that everyone seems to have. At least everyone on Instagram. But these are not true addictions, just fads or passing crazes. An addiction occurs when something takes control of you, is the root of everything you do. You get up in the morning for it. It dominates your thoughts, actions and behaviour. The strongest non-substance addiction is probably love as that drives the lives of people the world over, myself included.

I say it's a funny thing because even addictions can come and go. We all have passions, hobbies and interests but it's rare that they become so deeply engrained in us to be called an addiction. The most common one is probably fitness as exercise is highly addictive. It makes you feel good and gives you a rush that you want to repeat. Plus, there is always an incentive to continue as there is always an opportunity for improvement. You can run further, swim faster, hit harder, score more. Word records and personal bests are there to be beaten. So in a way it's an easy addiction - not in the sense of not requiring effort, as we all know that to get fitter or better at sport takes hours of sweating and dedication. Rather easier meaning obvious.

Yet like I said, addictions can be ephemeral and after a few months or even years you lose interest. I really enjoy sport and exercise, but I would never say it's my addiction. I spent half my childhood in swimming pools and certainly loved water polo growing up. Equally I could spend days watching cricket. But still these are not addictions as I can easily press the off button, not get in the pool, not play squash. Music is pretty transitory for me too. Of course there are specific songs and artists that I always come back to, but I can go 6 months without tuning in to them.

Reading is another passion of mine. There are few things that give me as big a kick as being absorbed in a brilliant novel. But it still doesn't drive my life like a true addiction.

I also think it comes with age. When you're a kid, you fixate on something and can spend all your time and energy on it; you're carefree and have all the time in the world to chase the things you love. Once you have a job, a home and myriad responsibilities the available time for addictions is greatly limited. Anyone who has a hobby has to maximise every minute of their free time to pursue it.

The nearest thing to that for me would be travelling. Visiting new countries and living abroad has always been a strong interest and had a big say in the course my life has taken. I do wake up and wish to be travelling, not just on a permanent holiday as such but experiencing new places, discovering cultures, languages, towns, food. One of the main reasons for working is to have money to travel, and it's what consumes most of my income and days not at a desk. I spend free time planning new destinations, and when I get back from a trip I need to book the next. Not knowing when and where the next adventure begins sits uncomfortably with me. If that is an addiction to you then yes, I'm addicted to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment